Friday, May 20, 2011

614 Facebook friiendship requiest to Goerge Bard (Jr) {Georgie}

You and my sister, Gay Linda Ganzer-Offutt were in the same class at BCHS together.  I caddied for your father (and uncle) at BHCC.  Your father, and all the members out there showed me the greatest respect and consideration, twice nominating me for an Evans Scholarship.  Congratulations on your Harvard education!  I interviewed with Blaine Kilpatrick, but did not interview well enough to waste Harvard's time by filing an application.  Perhaps it was the question:  What were the three most influential books you read this past year?  Breathing a sigh of relief to myself, in fact, I actually HAD read 3"  The Essential Lenny Bruce; How to talk dirty and influence people (by Lenny Bruce) and The Man Who Cried I am (by a black activist writer who tells the story of a CIA operative, dying of colon cancer, who uncovers the US government plot to inter every black American on an island off of South Carolina."  Well, Mark, you've suceeded in doing something no one else has ever done. And just what would that be, Blaine?  You named 3 books I've never heard of.  Can you tell me about them?

Lenny was a social critic whose criticism of the Catholic Church in Chicago got him in trouble with the local church authorities who had him hounded by the Chicago Police on the bogus charges of obscenity.  TMWCIA tells the story, etc, etc.

I told my my mother of this interview, and she concluded (wrongly) that I did not want to go to HArvard (I didn't care one way or the other).

You see, HArvard has destroyed more good men than whiskey, but then, so has life.

No comments:

Post a Comment