Thursday, April 21, 2011

322 Chicago Tribune - Voice of the People

Daley's architectural strides

As Chicago prepares to welcome a new mayor, we would like to extend our heartfelt thanks to Mayor Richard M. Daley for his support of the...

Privatized Chicago

Most people would be at a loss for words if they knew how much privatization has already occurred in this city. Not just the parking meters,...

Forgiving Notre Dame

At this time of the approaching Easter redemption, I wonder: Will the news media stop crucifying the University of Notre Dame for the...

Domestic oil drilling

While no one would dispute the serious ecological and economic damage wrought by the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico this time last year,...

Campaign signs

Well the local elections have finally come to a close at long last. However, you cannot tell that in most areas of the city. There remain...

Putting students first

Although Rahm Emanuel's article in the Sunday Tribune is overly simplistic, I certainly agree with the headline: "Putting our students...

Teachers' aims not always best for kids

Our children have one of the shortest school days in the nation. The teachers union says it will agree to a lengthened day as long as...

Presidential pricing

Just wondering. Our president is embarking on another presidential run. His kick-off dinner in Chicago is predicted to net him over $1...

Public employees pay, too

I am a retired public school teacher. During my 32-year career I contributed close to 10 percent of my salary to the Teacher Retirement...

Enjoy this, Bulls fans

I am an old jaded Chicago sports fan. In my 49 years, I've seen so many terrible failures, lazy/crybaby players and horrible coaches...

Happy tax day!

It's April. Time to put on my rubber boots and plod through the morass of words and numbers muddying up tax time again. It seems worse...

Mourning 'All My Children'

When I heard the news that ABC was cancelling my favorite soap, All My Children, organ music started to play in my head, my expression...

Obama event during rush hour

Last evening I was driving west on Madison Street to pick up my wife after work as we carpool each day. Just as I crossed Wacker Drive,...

Media bias

If there was any doubt about bias in the media it was eliminated Wednesday. The media allowed President Obama to deliver a partisan campaign...

Golf-less Chicago

Spring is here and the golf courses beckon. Golfers have been fed their fill of golf glory from the Masters last week. What a great...

Blago's telling defense

Mr. Blagojevich, why do you continue to defend yourself and proclaim your innocence everywhere but in a court of law, the only place where...

Questionable leadership

Vice President Joe Biden fell asleep during President Obama's debt speech. The media are making a joke of this. Would any one of us keep a...

Slighted satire

Reading the letters in Voice of...

Feeding the flames

The Rev. Terry Jones was wrong to burn the Quran. The Muslims were wrong to kill someone in protest of it. Two wrongs do not make a right....

NASA neglect

Having revered NASA my whole life, I find myself beyond disappointed and disgusted with the decision to house all four shuttles along the...

Vote, be ignored, repeat

I step into the voting booth and make my selection. The winners go to Washington to serve. Can I talk to them directly on the phone? Not...

Left field follies

Looks like the White Sox have their own version of the Cubs' Alfonso Soriano in left field. Juan Pierre can't catch a routine fly ball...

Ban on home lunches not beneficial

With the prevalence of childhood obesity in this country and the abundance of research that corroborates that childhood obesity is a...

Sensitive sirens

I enjoyed the summer temperature on my deck Sunday evening ... until the tornado/storm sirens blasted off. Lisle, Naperville, Bolingbrook or...

No nukes are good nukes

The repercussions from the nuclear disaster at Fukushima Dai-ichi may take months to fully measure. In a grim analogy to our 9/11, many...

A wise wager

I know how the state of Illinois and the city of Chicago can balance their budgets.

GOP's real agenda

Regarding your editorial "What real leaders do" (April 5), on Rep. Paul Ryan's 2012 plan, I am so glad to see real people calling out Ryan,...

Time for some sacrifices

President Obama will shortly reveal his budget proposal for future deficit reduction. Any proposal which doesn't call for the rich, well-...

Costly Chicago

The national average price for gasoline is still under $4 a gallon, but many Chicago stations are not far from the $5 mark.

Budget brainstorm

I have just a few thoughts concerning Rep. Paul Ryan's budget proposal:

Backing Ryan's plan

I read with interest the letters in the Voice of the People section today condemning Rep. Paul Ryan's plan, Republicans, the tea party and...

Schools reform much-needed

As a parent of Chicago Public Schools student, I welcome the idea of Performance Counts, and I would very much want my child to spend more...

Congress' priorities askew

I think those who serve the country in Washington have gotten their priorities skewed. First and foremost, the men and women of Congress are...

Share your views:

 

You must fill in all fields for submission


Your Name:  
Phone(Required)  
E-Mail  
City:  
State:  
ZIP:  
Your comments:  


Guidelines: All letters to the editor are welcome and will be considered for publication or posting online. The preferred method is to e-mail letters to ctc-tribletter@tribune.com. You may mail letters to: Voice of the People, Chicago Tribune, 435 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago, Ill. 60611. You may fax letters to: 312-222-2598.

• Letters should be timely and should be addressed to the editor; no open letters to other people are printed.

• Letters must be signed, must contain contact information including letter writer's city and state, and must be fewer than 400 words.
• No more than four signatures per letter.
• We edit and/or trim letters as little as possible, but we reserve the right to do so as necessary.

Find us on Facebook

 

No comments:

Post a Comment