Sunday, April 24, 2011

385 One of my letter readers responds to my most recent post here


From: Preston Morrow 
To: Mark Ganzer <ganzermark@yahoo.com>
Cc: lindaraie@hotmail.com
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2011 8:30 PM
Subject: Re: Easter Sunday was not quite the smashing success I had hoped for

hey there... neat letter... sounds like you should give the Episcopalians a try... Catholic without the Pope... however some parishes are quite liberal... mine is pretty liberal for me, but I tolerate it because the music is so grand

pm


Yes, the Episcopaleans of my acquaintance are wonderful people.  

My reasons for St. Anne, here in Barrington are

(1)  Father Bishop (someday, no doubt will be Archbishop Bishop) is really cool, and chain smokes
      extra long filter cigarettes

(2)  George and Ed, and Walt and I have been holding open and greeting at the front door nigh on 
      unto two months now, and they are an extremely important part of my friendship and faith      
      communities (a church, after all, is only its members).

(3)  Ed taught grade school with my Aunt Louise Walker Hockett Keen, who never really got over 
      the  combat death of her husband 1st Lt. James Raymond Hockett, 4thA 25thD -  Stryker     
     
     Brigade

(4)  The bevy of weekly, friendly, smiling faces, who greet me

(5)  Their willingness and appreciation that I would serve

(6)  Their other two pastors are magnificant speakers.  I was there for the first homily delivered by 
       the  Ugandan, and today for the first time watched the other assistant pastor speak like I 
       though,  amongst white clerics, only Father Flager could speak - wrong!

(7)  The liturgical setting is the Marty Haugen inspired book of Worship Music which I have sung 
       and  accompanied for years;  Familiarity breeds ... roflmao

(8)  My Lutheran roots trace back to the Heretical Roman Catholic Priest, Martin Luther, while my 
      Christian roots trace back to the Heretical healer, teacher, preacher, carpenter, Jesus.
      So, it's all pretty much the same, we are followers of the Way of Jesus (sounding very much like 
      Yaweh, yes?)

Thanks for much for "risking" a conversation / dialogue with a stranger - of such choices do we come
to fully understand about the Road Less Taken.

 
Mark Raymond Ganzer





No comments:

Post a Comment