Monday, May 23, 2011

617 Replying to the judges e-mail


I actually did get about 3 hits in my little league career - all bunt singles, drag bunts, backing from the left-hand side, laid down perfectly along the first base line.  One night, at Greeley school, however, my father pitched to me, for about two hours, and the next day, at the game, I hit a one-hop line drive (against batting lefty) to the shortstop who had no trouble tossing me out at first.  But, mostly, when I got on base, it was as walKEE!!  GREAT memory you have there.

We left Streator in summer, 1964, to come to Barrington, where dad taught mathematics under Grace Wandke, whom he had met at purdue in the 50's, when both of them were doing post-graduate work there via a shell oil grant.  Barrington then had "merit pay" which does not serve the teacher well at all.  Dad wanted to leave soon, and got an offer to be varsity wrestling coach and math teacher at waukegan HS, but, I didn't want to move again, so we didn't.

Then he got the offer to chair the dept of math at Glenbrook south HS in Glenview, IL, and that was a great gig for him, and we got to stay in Barrington and finish out our HS graduation here, me, my sisters Gay and Marianne, and my brother, John, who was class president in 8th grade!

In HS, I opted to quit playing french horn and sing instead.  We got a great choir director my junior year, Phillip Mark, which was also the year I got involved in HS theatre!  Played in the Salvation Army Band for Guys and Dolls, and sang in the Barber Shop Quartet for the Music Man, and did a couple of dramas in between and after.  Even came back, in 1986-87 as a volunteer piano player so the choir could learn the music to Pippin, for which I also played in the pit orchestra.  That winter, I was drafted to learn how to play the dulcimer for a play written by a student of the then brand new Fine Arts dept chair, Denny Beckthelheimer, called "The Diviners."

Auditioned for and got a lead role in a play called "DEborah" which comes from Judges 15 & Judges 16.  I was the evil villian Cisera, and everybody was (rightfully) terrified of me!

So, I've kept my hand in.  Wrote a play about a journey to NYCity I made, to visit my dying of AIDS brother - play was entitled "Stacia Diamond MEets a Wizrd."

My music is primarily 60's and they hymnal. I cut 6 CDs and a DVD in January, 2011.  Will be playing in Streator doing a free fund raiser for the legion THIS MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND!  I record alone, so I don't have to do second takes.  Musicians can be a pain in the ass (as opposed to players, who just want to play).

I think we'll do just fine financially - splitting 50-50 on the sales of CDs and DVDs. I think I can find the notes to my second CDs (was a double album)

Who Knows Where the Time GoesJudy Collins
Sad deserted shore, all your fickle friends are leaving.
Ah but how can they know, that it's time for them to go?
Stay
Now the promoter won't mind. And the union won't mind.
And the roadies won't mind if we take a little time to leave it all behind.
Scarborough Fair / Canticle: Instrumental Simon & Garfunkel


The Sound of your Laughter Mark Ganzer
The sound of your laughter, lingers long after.
Long after you're gone. Sustaining me to carry on.


Hello in There John Prine
Me and Loretta we don't talk much now. She sits and stares at the back door screen. And the news just repeats itself like some forgotten dream, that we've both seen.


America the Beautiful Traditional
O beautiful for heroes proved in liberating strife. 
Who more than self their country loved and mercy more than life!


My country 'Tis of Thee Traditional
Our fathers' God, to thee, author of liberty, to thee we sing;
long may our land be bright with freedom's holy light;
protect us by thy might, great God, our King.
All Through the Night Traditional
While the moon her watch is keeping All through the night
While the weary world is sleeping All through the night
O'er thy spirit gently stealing Visions of delight revealing
Breathes a pure and holy feeling All through the night
Kathy's Song Simon & Garfunkel
And as I watch the drops of rain weave their weary paths and die
I know that I am like the rain. There but for the grace of you go I.
My Hero's Have Always Been Cowboys Willie Nelson
Cowboys are restless with their own brand of misery
From being alone too long.
You could die in the night in the arms of a nightmare
Knowing full well your best days are gone.


Freedom Richie Havens
Sometimes I feel like a motherless child.
A long way from my home.


Both of Us Cannot Be Wrong Leonard Cohen
I heard of a saint who had loved you, so I studied all night in his school. He taught that the duty of lovers was to tarnish the Golden Rule .And jst when I was sure that his teachings were pure, He drowned himself in the pool His body is gone but back here on the lawn, His spirit continues to drool.


Wind Up Jethroo Tull
So I asked this God a question, and by way of firm reply, he said,
“I'm not the kind that you have to wind up on Sundays.”


The Cost of Freedom CSN&Y
Find the cost of freedom, buried in the ground.
Mother Earth will swallow you. Lay your body down.

-------------

No comments:

Post a Comment